Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Square Dancing in the 5th Grade

"Today in gym class we're going to learn to square dance," our teacher announced to the class.

All of us girls squealed and the boys groaned. Girls and boys dancing together--whoo hooo! We girls couldn't wait to get started.

Teacher separated us into groups of four--2 boys, 2 girls, in each group. She put the record on the record player and made us walk through the steps while she called out directions.

"Swing your partner," was my favorite part because Kurt was my partner and I was itching to grab his arm through mine. Kurt was the cutest, tallest boy in our class and I was dancing with HIM! Linda and Patty were eyeing me. They didn't like it one bit that he was my partner but I didn't care. He was mine, all mine!

OK, for forty-five minutes on this day he was mine all mine.

Kurt followed the teacher's instructions and just danced. He was too cool to balk or horse around like the other boys in class--but it was his cool indifference that made me like him even more.

So, we "do see doed" and "promenaded" the whole class time and I was in fifth grade girl heaven. I could see it all now. This was just the beginning. Once he saw how fun I was, once he noticed how cute I really was, once he danced with me, I KNEW we'd be going steady for sure. Yep. Kurt was going to be my boyfriend. My head swirled with dreams of how it was going to be. It was fate!

But then class was over far too quickly and I soon heard,

"OK, everyone line up in ABC order. Time to go back to the classroom!"

I was a "B" at the front of the line and Kurt was a "T" at the back of the line so when he walked past me to line up, I smiled at him and waited for his smile back.

I waited and waited.

7 comments:

Myrtle's Mayhem said...

Both stories are lovely Suz!! What a great idea to join a writing group!!

Anonymous said...

If you had gone steady with Kurt, then David Shields would have been jealous. Ahhhhh memories of youth.
Love you bunches.
Rose

Suz said...

Dave Shields wasn't until 7th grade. I'd have had time...:)

Suz

Alice said...

I loved it!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Suz. After having finally read both of your blogs, I feel compelled to write and thank you for the enjoyable trip down Hazel Park's memory lane. When I read almost forgotten names like Illona Geiger, Keener radio, Kathy Butte, The Daily Tribune, Frank Polito, Henry's Dept Store etc it brings a big smile to my face. I especially liked the touching, heartfelt comments about your good friend and my passing acquaintance, Connie Hughes. In a way, I wish you would have stayed in HP so you would have even more vivid memories to share. I like your new stuff too. Anyway, Thanks!

Suz said...

Thanks for the kind remarks! I've been falling down a little in the memory lane department but hopefully will get to it again in the near future. I'd like to write down my memories as a legacy for my family. Nothing seems sadder to me than to live and die without your own family knowing who you really are. Anyway, would I know you from HP, by any chance?

Thanks, again!
Suz

Anonymous said...

Nah, you didn't know me. I lived almost in the shadow of the Oakdale Theater at 8 Mile and Stephenson Hwy (now I75) while you were in the 'ritzy' end of town. Although it's a war zone now, my old neighborhood was glorious in the 50's and 60's......so much fun. Still, HP was so small that once you progressed through the school system it wasn't long before you had friends all over. Those of us that grew-up in HP at that time were the luckiest kids in the world. Thanks Again!